Immigration Information

Last updated 17/11/2020

**Please note that due to Covid-19 there are delays to Home Office responses**

In certain cases, it is possible for Ruth as your Member of Parliament (MP) to assist with your immigration matter, there are strict rules which state what an MP can and can’t do and it is always important to remember that MP’s are not above the law and so cannot overturn decisions that have been made by the courts.

MPs can’t do the following:

  • Overturn decisions made in the court of law.
  • Give immigration advice
  • Fill in forms and applications
  • Change the law, although Ruth can raise policy issues with the relevant Minister with the hope of changing Home Office guidelines.

Seeking Legal Advice:

When making an immigration application it is always advisable to seek qualified and regulated immigration advice. You can search for a qualified advisor accredited by the OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) here:

MPs can do the following:

  • Contact the Home Office to ask for the status of your application.
  • If appropriate, raise cases with the Immigration Minister or Home Secretary directly. This could be if you have received a negative decision, have been waiting a very long time for a decision and want a response, if you are detained, or if you are facing removal or deportation.
  • Chase delays - if there has been a long delay in a decision, Ruth as your MP can push for a decision to be made. Make sure you want a decision, however, and be prepared for that decision to be negative. If you have a lawyer, always ask them first before involving an MP.
  • Assist with matters relating to welfare benefits and No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)
  • Where appropriate provide referrals to Law Centres and provide information about relevant charities and organizations.
  • Ask for your reporting conditions to be reduced or amended.

Ruth will require the following information to be able to assist you with your immigration issue.

Full Name (As used by the Home Office)

Full Address in the UK & Post Code

Home phone number/ Mobile Number


Application Details

Home Office Reference Number

Date of Birth

Name and DOB of any children or other dependents associated with the application


Date of Arrival in UK

Type of Application (E.g. Asylum Application/ Leave to Remain/ Spouse Visa Application)

Date application was submitted

Solicitor’s contact details if applicable

Date of Last Contact with the Home Office

If your case involves travel due to a relative’s illness, enclose supporting medical evidence. e.g. letter from GP/hospital, death certificate.