Ruth 'delighted' after Free School Meals concession

Ruth Cadbury MP has said she is 'delighted' after the Government reversed its decision not to extend free school meal vouchers across the summer holidays after a campaign by Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford.

Rashford, who himself received free school meals when he was young, had written to all MPs on Monday to urge the Government to extend the program.

Speaking in full Ruth said,

''Marcus Rashford's letter made such a powerful case as to why the Government needed to extend free school meal program. With 200,000 children already having to skip meals during the lockdown it's clear that the Government needed to extend this scheme and I am delighted that this amazing campaign that Marcus led has paid off. This will make a huge difference and will ensure that over 1 million children can access free meals.

I had raised the issue of free school meals when I wrote to the Education Secretary last week and I am pleased the Government has finally acted.

I also know that there is much more that the Government need to do as many local families are still struggling with extra costs, especially if they've been made redundant or are unsure when they'll be able to return to work.''